Hawaii. To Islanders it is just the “Big Island”. In fact, to avoid confusion when talking, most people just refer to Hawaii Island as the “Big Island” so as not to get it mixed up with the entire state. Visiting the Big Island of Hawaii on your holiday is a lot like visiting Boston and Philly on the mainland USA…it’s where it all started.
It’s easy to get caught up in the natural awe that Hawaii Island. There is flowing magma in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. And there is snow on the top of Maunakea. There are tropical rainforests along the coast while that is emerald green. And sand on Punaluu Beach that is jet black.The Big Island is Big in Stature and Significance
Yes, the Big Island is almost a nation unto itself. It is almost twice as big as all of the other islands combined.
If you spend time on Oahu or Maui and decide to take a trip to the Big Island you’ll soon feel lost in its vastness.,p>One of the greatest things about the Big Island is that its size allows it to “pack” more into it-both in regards to the tourism industry and historically speaking.
The Big Island is full of lush and extravagant hotels, resorts and golf courses. It is also home to some of the most significant pieces of Hawaiian culture and historical sites.
Interesting Facts About The Big Island of Hawaii
- Birthplace of King Kamehameha I
- It was this Island that King Kamehameha arrived on Oahu from to conquer the tribes and unite the Kingdom under one rule.
- It is home to Maunakea, the highest point in the state of Hawaii.
- The micro-climates on the Big Island make it possible to spend a day snorkeling amongst the black sand of Punaluu and throw a snow ball in the afternoon near the top of Maunakea.
- You can also get a taste of “Old Hawaii” in the towns of Hilo and Kailua-Kona.
- Hilo is different from most Hawaiian towns in that there are significantly more residents than visitors.
- Kailua-Kona is a quaint, seaside town with all of the souvenir shops and open-air dining that you could want.
Make no mistake that the Big Island of Hawaii is one of the premiere islands on the chain. While most people think of Maui and Oahu as the places to holiday in Hawaii…the residents of the state go to the Big Island to unwind.